Thursday 22 October 2015

birfday tingz

Disclaimer: this is a really cheesy post. If you want something that won't make you gag then please skip ahead. However, if you've just watched a bunch of videos of cute puppies on YouTube, or are going through a inspirational life quote poster phase, then maybe this is your cup of tea.

SWEET 27th B.DAY 

I was invited on an impromptu trip to Tokyo Disney Sea for my birthday. I have to say, when weighing it up against the possibility of spending all day in a stinky old Japanese class, the decision was a no-brainer.

Although I had only met Nell and Audrey a few times before, it was amazingly sweet and thoughtful of them to invite me along for the day. Spanks guys. It was really fun and definitely made it a great birthday.








In the evening I had booked a big table at the Kill Bill restaurant in Roppongi. I invited a large group of random people along. Being in Ibaraki for two years, I had a pretty solid group of friends. During that time, I made a lot of trips down to Tokyo and other parts of Japan. Whilst travelling, I met a lot of different people who live in and around Tokyo. With the beauty of the internet, it has been easy to keep random-encounter people in your life. Some of the people who turned up, I had only met once or twice before and was a bit nervous as to how things would play out. However, I'm not sure if it was the umeshuu or what, but I really think it was a great night. There was a really friendly vibe, especially because a lot of the people there had also moved to Tokyo recently and I think were in the head-space to meet new people too. 




I was really dreading having my birthday after just moving to Tokyo. It's a new city, and I feel hardly settled. Combining that with not knowing where to go, where's fun, or who to hang out with. I was a little concerned that all these factors would lead to a lonely, disappointing celebration.

However, this might have been one of my best birthdays ever!

I've not even been in Tokyo for a whole month, but I'm feeling really positive about this choice. HOORAY LIFE CHOICES. It's so scary to move somewhere new, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

And then we get into the super cheese-ball stuff:

I might soon be eating my words. You can't anticipate what's going to happen, and you never know if a choice was right or wrong until after you've made it. A lot of people told me I wouldn't get a job here, that its hard, I wouldn't find anything in Tokyo, I would be lonely. A lot of haters and pessimists. I'm not sure that when you read these things, or get told them, its because people are reflecting on their own experiences, or if they are trying to warn you that things won't be as easy as you might think. I don't know, but I think sometimes you just have to go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I put so much time and nonsense in this blog. Thank you for commenting, even if it's trolling, it makes me feel special.